Saturday 7 January 2012

Support


I am truly blessed to know the most amazing people on this planet. I haven't done any research to support this claim but I am fairly confident in making this assumption. My family not only pushed me to get diagnosed but are always calling for updates. My mom has flown out to see me numerous times and was with me for my surgeries, with my dad and sister always calling to check on us. My extended family has been incredible as well. My Nana, who ended up passing away in February 2011, told me while I was visiting her in January that she knew I had Cushing's. It is crazy to think that my 87 year old Nana suspected this when doctors didn't even suspect. Anyway, aunts offered to come stay with me and I am truly touched by how often family members call me or my parents to see how I'm doing. Knowing that people genuinely care makes dealing with a health issue much easier.

My friends have been absolute stars as well...many offering to travel across the country to stay with me during recoveries or to give me support during procedures. I get regular phone calls asking how I am and it just means the world to me. Friends have even offered to take time off work should I need someone. 

The people I work with have been absolutely amazing through all of this. I know they have noticed my physical changes over the past year or so and none of them ever uttered a word to me about it or made me feel self-conscious. When I had my IPVSS a bunch of them put together a care package for me since I had to miss 3 days of work. They all ask how I’m doing but in such a way that it isn’t invasive and I know it is just out of genuine concern. My administration has been extremely accommodating with all of the time I have had to take off and the people in my planning team really stepped up and helped me out when they knew I needed it.

I thought that joining a support group might make it easier to deal with Cushings but I almost found it had an opposite affect at points to be completely honest. Some people genuinely were there to offer kind words, information and share their stories in a positive way which I appreciated. However some posts were so negative it would make me question whether there was any hope and made me feel doomed. You have to be very careful about what you read!! I really hope to offer an honest account of my own experience that will encourage others not to give up.

The support and love I have received from the people in my life has made dealing with Cushing's Disease bearable and allowed me to have a sense of humour about it. I know I can turn to a number of people for help and they will be there for me. It is the people around me that remind me that I am still the same person deep down. It is almost like they don't see the physical changes that bother me so much. They look right past them to the same old me who has been here the whole time. Making me feel good about myself, telling me I am beautiful and they love me no matter what. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment